What It Does
- Connect Makey Makey to the computer running Scratch, and verify it is working correctly.
- Prepare the apple and connect it to Makey Makey using a crocodile clip.
- Start the Scratch program running.
- Ask your query (aloud or silently).
- When you feel ready, touch the apple (thus activating Makey Makey to sends a signal to Scratch that the space key has been pressed).
- Interpret the sign that appears.
How It Works
The Scratch program is quite simple, and could be even simpler. All you really need are one sprite with the possible divination images (as costumes), and this script:
However, I added a focus image and a simple transition for æsthetics, thus AppleOfDiscord has two sprites:
HandOfEris— displays the Hand of Eris while the divination is in progress. Hides when he space key is pressed, in order to show the other sprite.
Fnord— randomizes costumes until the space key is pressed (touching the apple connected to the Makey Makey sends a space-key signal to the computer), when it displays whichever costume is selected at that moment. I use the set size to () % and change size by () blocks to quickly zoom in on the costume when it is selected.
How you prepare the apple is up to you, but my suggestion is that you wash and dry it; inscribe the phrase ΤΗΙ ΚΑΛΛΙΣΤΗΙ (“to the fairest”), KALLISTI, or just K onto it; and perform the Mass of Chaos E1 to consecrate and enchant the apple; all prior to running the project.
Make It Better
- Replace the icons with ones of your own choosing or design.
- Change the transition from the Hand of Eris to the chosen icon.
- Add sound effects.
- Replace the golden delicious apple with one of genuine gold!
The 23 mystic icons used in this project were made by Utro-na-more.